City Market, at 110 South Front Street, functioned as the city’s grocery store for decades. These children, (left to right) Harry Alexander Nixon, Velma Elizabeth Nixon, and eight-year old Addie Larnese Nixon, went to the market to help their father, Wesley Nixon, a food vendor who farmed family land on Middle Sound. The children shelled peas and butterbeans and made change for customers. They also delivered fresh vegetables to the Honnet and Empie families. In their free time, they munched on sticky buns made by the Craig sisters and visited a Front Street candy store.
The woman on the right, (unrelated to the Nixons) in the dark sweater is probably Evelina Bennett, a resident of Wrightsville Sound. City Market had only a few good years left when this photo was taken on a Saturday morning in 1936. . By 1940, real grocery stores had taken a toehold.
15 Notes/ Hide
- cottonandcacti reblogged this from yearningforunity
- indiebeauty likes this
- defyallwackness reblogged this from gogul-mun
- paigetheboook likes this
- gogul-mun reblogged this from eatmeallnight
- gogul-mun likes this
- shaebod reblogged this from yearningforunity
- loreleileeme reblogged this from yearningforunity
- tipplemonkey reblogged this from eatmeallnight
- tipplemonkey likes this
- vice365 reblogged this from eatmeallnight
- eatmeallnight reblogged this from yearningforunity
- yearningforunity posted this